Consistently recognized regionally and nationally as leaders in their field, the CSG Law Tax Group and its lawyers maximize federal and state tax credits and deductions while limiting tax liability and positioning clients for future success.
An Exceptionally Experienced Team
Clients benefit from the invaluable experience and diverse backgrounds of the firm’s Tax Group, which includes attorneys who hold an LL.M. in taxation and who have clerked in the New Jersey Tax Court, as well as a CPA and a former attorney in the Office of Chief Counsel at the Internal Revenue Service. This deep experience provides clients with uncommon insight into how to consider their tax options and make the choice that best meets their financial goals.
The group leverages the knowledge and experience of members of our Trusts and Estates, Corporate and Immigration practices, among others, taking a multidisciplinary approach to assessing tax considerations in context based on each client’s specific objectives. Then we provide practical guidance on the implications and legalities of all available options, offer options to minimize taxes, and devise carefully crafted solutions within the confines of the law to further the client’s objectives.
The group’s attorneys are experienced in handling all aspects of U.S. Tax Court cases as well, working closely with the firm’s White Collar Defense & Investigations Group on tax matters involving the Department of Justice and U.S. Attorney’s Office.
CSG Law tax lawyers play an integral role in our clients’ overall financial planning, devising strategies to help clients accomplish both their business and personal goals with minimal tax liability.
With a keen understanding of the ever-evolving tax environment, we advise across all areas of estate planning, real property taxation, corporate and individual investments and transactions, and domestic and international transactions and tax planning. Clients rely on our advice at every stage, from structuring and formation of corporations, partnerships, LLCs, and other business entities through operations and business transactions, and tax implications of joint ventures, venture capital, mergers, acquisitions, sales, dissolutions, and restructurings, as well as wealth management and business succession planning. Clients also turn to us for our skill in successfully handling tax controversies, litigation and any necessary appeals. We oversee audits and investigations, as well as handle tax protests.
Our experience also includes:
- Tax-free reorganizations and tax-deferred arrangements, including qualified small business stock sales and tax-deferred reinvestment of proceeds
- Estate and tax planning, including for ex-pats and noncitizen U.S. residents
- Private wealth transfer and legacy management
- Voluntary disclosures
- 1031 exchanges
- Qualified Opportunity Zones
- Inbound mergers of foreign entities into U.S. entities
- Formation of tax-exempt foundations and charities, including obtaining IRS exemptions, fiduciary issues and lobbying
- Transactional and fiduciary matters
- Executive compensation tax strategies
- Income taxes
- Franchise taxes
- Handled the sale of a portion of an S-Corporation, structuring a reorganization to make the sales transaction more tax efficient, which saved the client millions of dollars in taxes.
- Advised a business executive on the significant tax implications of becoming a U.S. resident and assisted the executive with pre-immigration tax planning, thus saving the client millions in taxes.
- Advised a large public charity on how to protect its tax-exempt status by ensuring its activities did not veer into “lobbying.” Our practical guidance allowed the charity to accomplish its goals within the non-profit rules.
*Results may vary depending on your particular facts and legal circumstances.