Last Modified: February 2020
Privacy, Security and the Internet
The firm respects users’ privacy and we take measures intended to protect your personal information. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we have reasonable measures in place designed to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to or through our web site. Accordingly, please carefully consider what information you may share with us through this web site.
Your Choice Not to Engage with Us Online
Regardless of whether you contact or engage with us through the internet, if you are a client of the firm, we may collect certain personally identifiable information about you in connection with our representation of you, and our confidentiality obligations are as stated in your engagement letter with the firm.
Please note: If you are engaging with us through a portal to exchange files, please do not use credentials for that portal that you use for other accounts.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Web site, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, e-mail address (personal or home), telephone number (work, mobile or home), employer, and other information you provide to us ("personal information");
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Web site, and usage details.
- We collect this information from:
- You when you provide it to us in the course of our representation of you
- You, through this web site or otherwise, if you seek employment with the firm
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
- Information may be gathered through this web site as well as through:
- Our blog sites
- Our social media properties
- Client portals through which files are exchanged
- You when you register for an event hosted by the firm (and if there is a co-host for the event, the co-host will receive this information, too)
- When you sign up to receive our client alerts and/or professional announcements
- We may also collect information from other sources, including:
- Public databases and websites
- Social Media platforms
- Your employer, family member or an adversary in a matter we are handling
Any resumes and employment information submitted to Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi through this web site will only be used by Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi to determine whether to consider an individual for any employment openings.
How We Use your Information and with Whom We Share Your Information:
Our Use of Your Personal Information:
We use your Personal Information:
- In rendering our legal services either on your behalf or on behalf of your adversary
- When establishing, exercising or defending legal claims
- As necessary to comply with applicable laws, rules and regulations
- Pursuant to your engagement of our legal services
- When it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those legitimate interests;
- Where information has already been made public
- With your consent
Our Legitimate Purposes include:
1) To provide client services:
- Confirming parties and signatures as necessary for legal documents and transactions
- Contacting parties in our provision of client services
- Responding to inquiries in connection with providing client services; and
- Providing professional legal advice and counseling services, and managing our client relationships.
2) To fulfill your requests:
- Responding to your request to attend an event
- Providing to you client services
- Considering your candidacy for employment
- Sending administrative information to you, such as information regarding changes to our terms, conditions and policies relating to this web site, or social media accounts and other notices as may be required by law or regulation; and
3) For our business purposes, including:
- Data analysis, which includes improving the efficiency of our web site and social media offerings;
- Fraud and security monitoring, which includes activities to detect and prevent cyberattacks or attempts to commit identity theft; and
- Enhancing, improving, or modifying our current products and services.
With Whom We May Share Your Personally Identifiable Information
Except as expressly set forth below, Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi does not provide any personally identifiable information to third parties, unless you request for any of such information to be sent to another party. We may share your information (i) with third parties that provide services to us, such as third parties that maintain this web site or provide marketing assistance or data analysis to us; or (ii) if required by applicable law or regulation or court order.
If we co-host an event, or the event is at third party venue, the co-host or venue may receive your information, too, for attendance and security purposes. We do not control the co-host’s use of information. Please visit any co-host’s site to review their privacy policies.
Third parties that help us to manage this website, our systems and operations may have access to your information. These third parties are contractually bound to use this only to serve our business needs and for no other purposes.
Note that by visiting our social media accounts and/or interacting with those accounts, your posts will be publicly available, and the hosts of those sites may also access certain data.
Law Enforcement and Compliance with Laws:
- To comply with applicable laws, rules and regulations.
- To cooperate with law enforcement, or public and government authorities.
- For other legal reasons, including enforcing our terms and conditions, protection of our rights and those of others and yourself.
In the event that Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi undergoes a corporate reorganization or an acquisition or merger, user information would be transferred to the surviving entity.
WE DO NOT SELL THE DATA OF ANY VISITORS TO THIS SITE TO THIRD PARTIES FOR MARKETING PURPOSES.
Information Collected about Your Device and Your Activities:
We and our service providers may collect information about your browser and/or the device from which you access our website:
- Through your browser or device: We collect certain information by browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (e.g. Mac), operating system, device manufacturer and model, Internet browser, and the website or social media account through which you interacted with us.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies. Pixel tags (web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used to track the actions of users of the web site or our social media accounts, and compile statistics about use of our web site.
- IP Address. Your IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider. An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses our web site or other accounts, together with the time of the visit and the page(s) viewed.
Unsubscribing and Opting Out
If you have registered to receive newsletters, professional announcements or other marketing materials from us, you can opt out at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will promptly comply with your requests.
Please note, however, that we may still to send you important administrative messages, which you cannot elect to discontinue.
Inquiries and Access Regarding Your Personal Information
If you believe the Personal Information we have for you is inaccurate, incomplete, or no longer current, please contact us at email@example.com. Please note that we may require you to provide us additional information to verify who you are before we fulfill your request.
If we need further information from you before we can complete your request, we will contact you further.
Subject to our confirming your identity, and you providing any clarifying information we may need, we will comply promptly with your request and as required by law.
Retention of Your Personal Information
We retain Personal Information for as long as needed or permitted in light of the purpose(s) for which it was obtained and consistent with applicable law.
- If you are our client, our engagement letter will specify the duration with for which your file will be retained.
- If you have requested to receive certain information through our website (e.g. a newsletter, etc.), we will retain that information as appropriate – included to track any request to opt-out of any such requests.
- If there is a pending transaction, litigation or statute of limitations or appeal that dictates how long certain information will be maintained.
- If you are or were an employee of the firm, certain laws dictate how long that information must be retained.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
- Geographical location
- Pages viewed and/or actions performed on the site
- Time spent on the site
- Search terms
How to control cookies
You can control and/or delete cookies as you wish – for details, see aboutcookies.org. You can delete all cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. If you do this, however, you may have to manually adjust some preferences every time you visit a site and some services and functionalities may not work.