Intellectual property rights rank among the most valuable assets that today’s innovative companies and individuals can possess. Obtaining those rights, putting them to work and protecting them to the fullest extent possible are goals that must be pursued with vigor and vigilance.
Our highly regarded Intellectual Property Group was recently recognized in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business. The Group has extensive experience representing clients in all aspects of intellectual property law, including:
- Patent Searches and Opinions
- Patent Preparation and Prosecution
- Trademark Clearance
- Trademark Filing and Prosecution
- Transactional Work
- Portfolio Analysis and Counseling
- Third Party Defensive Work
Patent Searches and Opinions
Patent attorneys in Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s IP Group conduct thorough patent searches to determine whether inventions may be patentable. We also conduct patent infringement and validity searches to verify patentability and render right-to-use advice to our clients based on these searches. Our experienced attorneys help clients develop strategies to avoid infringing upon the patent rights of others while protecting the rights to their inventions.
Patent Preparation and Prosecution
CSG’s extensive experience preparing and prosecuting patent applications in many fields, including mechanical, electrical, computer, business methods, data networking, e-commerce and optical, has resulted in our clients’ ability to build solid and successful patent portfolios throughout the world.
With our counsel, many start-up businesses obtained patent protection on inventions that launched successful business ventures. Keeping our clients’ budgets and priorities in mind, we pursue efficient prosecution strategies to obtain valuable patents for our clients. We also handle appeals of final United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) decisions as well as other proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
CSG IP attorneys conduct and evaluate trademark searches to determine whether marks are available for use and registration by our clients. We investigate potential problems, negotiate and take the appropriate action on behalf of our clients in order to secure rights that would otherwise be in question.
Trademark Filing and Prosecution
CSG clients benefit from our IP Group’s substantial experience in all aspects of trademark registration, including the preparation and filing of applications, the prosecution of applications through to registration and the post-registration maintenance of trademark portfolios. Our experience in this arena includes filing more than 2,000 U.S. trademark applications for clients and working closely with law firms throughout the world to manage and coordinate our clients’ worldwide trademark portfolios.
CSG takes pride in its ability to favorably resolve cases in the most cost-effective manner. In addition to providing prelitigation counseling and strategy, we have successfully litigated intellectual property matters in state and federal courts throughout the U.S. Our experience covers the full range of IP-related disputes, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret, infringement, licensing, domain name, opposition and cancellation, and unfair competition cases. We have sought and obtained preliminary and permanent injunctive relief for numerous clients. We are regularly called upon to help resolve trademark disputes before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the USPTO, as well as other tribunals such as the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
We have been successful in litigating matters for clients across a wide range of industries, including entertainment, education, apparel, sporting goods, cosmetics, technology, food and beverage, finance and others.
CSG advises clients in a variety of copyright matters, including registration with the U.S. Copyright Office and copyright actions in federal court. Our experience includes helping clients protect the rights to their software and other creative works.
Our IP Group works closely with the firm’s Corporate Group to handle the intellectual property aspects of many complex business transactions, including IP provisions of merger agreements. We also handle many intellectual property-specific transactions, including licensing agreements, assignments, consent and co-existence agreements, as well as domain name transfer agreements.
Portfolio Analysis and Counseling
CSG evaluates patent and trademark portfolios and counsels clients regarding the best use of resources in order to build and maintain IP portfolios. Clients ranging from large corporations with thousands of IP assets to small startup companies with small portfolios benefit from this analysis and counseling, which results in stronger and more focused IP portfolios.
Third Party Defensive Work
In this era of "patent assertion entities", all companies, both large and small, are at risk of becoming a target of a patent assertion. CSG evaluates third party claims against our clients' products and services and defends them against these assertions.
- New Jersey Law Journal: An Outlook on the Blockchain Patent Arms Race
- NJBIZ: Triple Play - 3 Ways to Prepare for Patenting, Defending your Inventions
- The Duty To Know Your Client's Computer System
- Brand and Trademark Protection
- The Thief, the Cook and the Egg
- Keyword Advertising "Use in Commerce": A Pro-Plaintiff Trend Emerges
- CSG's Nussbaum Named to WTR 1000
- CSG Announces Four Attorney Promotions
- CSG Recognized in 2019 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 27 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2019
- CSG Achieves High Rankings in 2018 Chambers USA
- 33 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2018 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- CSG Announces Seven Attorney Promotions
- CSG Recognized in 2018 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 26 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2018
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Achieves High Rankings in 2017 Chambers USA
- 36 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2017 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- CSG Recognized in 2017 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 27 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2017
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Achieves High Rankings in 2016 Chambers USA
- 32 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2016 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC Announces Five Attorney Promotions
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Recognized in 2016 Best Law Firm Rankings
- CSG's Nicole DiMaria and Melissa Salimbene Named to New Jersey Law Journal's 2015 New Leaders of the Bar
- 25 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Achieves High Rankings in 2015 Chambers USA
- 25 Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Wolff & Samson Achieves High Rankings in 2014 Chambers USA
- Wolff & Samson Announces Attorney Promotions
- Wolff & Samson Recognized in 2014 Best Law Firms Rankings
- Twenty-six Attorneys from Wolff & Samson Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Wolff & Samson Achieves High Rankings in 2013 Chambers USA
- Wolff & Samson Announces Attorney Promotions
- Twenty-seven Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Wolff & Samson Achieves High Rankings in 2012 Chambers USA
- Thirty Wolff & Samson Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in "New Jersey Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Michelle Schaap Named One of New Jersey's "Best 50 Women in Business"
- Wolff & Samson Member Ronald Israel Named to New Jersey Law Journal "40 Under 40"
- Ronald Israel Named One of NJBIZ's "Forty Under 40"
- Patent Law Boutique Weinick & Associates Joins Wolff & Samson
- 10/4/2018: Webinar - Trademarks, Copyrights & More for the Business Owner and Non-IP Practitioner
- Ethics Presentation for In-House Counsel: Part Four of A Complimentary CLE Series
- In-House Attorney-Client Privilege and Disclosure Issues: Part Two of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- RPCs and the In-House Attorney: Part One of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- NJIPLA: Electronics, Telecom and Software Patent Practice Update
- How to Advise Entrepreneurial Clients: What Every Counsel Should Know
- The Interplay Between Bankruptcy & Intellectual Property Law: When Titans Clash, Something Has To Give!
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Issues Revised Subject Matter Eligibility Guidance
- Governor Signs Employee Rights to Ownership of Inventions Bill
- Supreme Court Decision Narrows Choice of Venue in Patent Cases
- The Defend Trade Secrets Act - Providing More Protection For Trade Secret Owners
- United States Supreme Court Rules that TTAB Decisions as to Likelihood of Confusion May Be Binding on Courts
- New Domain Name Risks Create Exposure for Your Brand
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Issues Final Rule Regarding Patent Term Adjustments in Light of Novartis
- Federal Circuit Holds that Continued Examination Does Not Count Toward Patent Office's Three-Year Application Processing Allotment
- First-to-File Provisions of the America Invents Act to Take Effect on March 16, 2013
- Mobile Apps and Privacy Policies
- Virginia Court Holds that Patent Office Calculation of Patent Term Adjustment is Incorrect in Certain Situations
- Leahy-Smith America Invents Act
- Leahy-Smith America Invents Act Signed Into Law
- What Trademark Owners Need to Know About the New .XXX Top-Level Domain
- Increased Penalties for False Patent Marking Under Recent Federal Circuit Decisions
- Supreme Court Clarifies Rules for Patentable Subject Matter
- Potential Problems for Secured Lenders with IP Collateral in Bankruptcy
- Court Decision Allows for Term Extension of Recently Issued Patents
- Trademarks Are Treated Differently from Other IP in Bankruptcy
- Examining the Different Treatment in Bankruptcy for Exclusive vs. Non-Exclusive License Agreements
- The Use of IP Rights to Control the Section 363 Sale Process in Bankruptcy
- IP and Bankruptcy Law: Perfect Together