Armen Shahinian practices in the areas of commercial litigation, construction litigation, fidelity and surety law, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. He joined the firm in 1977 and today leads the firm’s nationally recognized Fidelity and Surety Group, one of the largest in the country.
Armen served as a member and chairman of the New Jersey Supreme Court District Ethics Committee for West Essex County from 1989 to 1993. He is a member of the American Bar Association Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, having served as Chair from 2000 to 2001. He is also a member of the ABA Litigation and Public Contract Law Sections. He has also served as a member of the Editorial Board of the ABA Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section’s quarterly publication The Brief and served as a member of its Continuing Legal Education Board.
Armen is a member of the Board of Directors of the Surety Claims Institute and Editor-in-Chief of its Newsletter. Currently, he serves as an Advisor to the Surety and Fidelity Claims Committees of the Surety & Fidelity Association of America. He also is a Trustee and Past-President of the Legal Services Foundation of Essex County and is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. In the mid-1990s, Armen helped found the Fidelity Law Association and currently serves as Advisor Emeritus.
In 2018, Armen was honored by the American Bar Association Tort Trial and Insurance Section’s Fidelity and Surety Law Committee as a recipient of its “Martin J. Andrew Award.”
Armen is a graduate of the New York University School of Law where he served as Associate Editor of the Annual Survey of American Law.
- Included in Chambers USA, New Jersey Construction (2020-2022)
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America®, Bet-the-Company Litigation; Commercial Litigation; Litigation – Banking and Finance; Litigation – Bankruptcy; Litigation – Construction; Litigation – Real Estate (2007-2023)
- Recipient, NJBIZ, Icon Honors Award (2021)
- Recipient, American Bar Association’s Tort Trial and Insurance Section’s Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Martin J. Andrew Award (2018)
*No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- American Bar Association, Past Chair TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee; Member, Litigation Section; Member, Public Contract Section
- Essex County Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Fidelity Law Association, Advisor Emeritus
- Legal Services Foundation of Essex County, Trustee and Past-President
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Surety & Fidelity Association of America, Advisor to Surety and Fidelity Claims Committees
- Surety Claims Institute, Member, Board of Directors; Editor-in-Chief, Newsletter
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 1974)
- Brown University (A.B., 1971)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. Supreme Court