New Jersey State Bar Association: An Insider’s View of the Federal Bench
On December 11, from 12:00 – 1:40 pm, the Honorable John Michael Vazquez, former United States District Judge for the District of New Jersey and Member of the CSG Law Litigation and White Collar Defense & Investigations Groups, and Kathryn Pearson, Counsel in the CSG Law Litigation and White Collar Defense & Investigations Groups, will speak at the New Jersey State Bar Association’s event, “An Insider’s View of the Federal Bench.”
The program will address frequent questions that arise in federal litigation, such as:
- What are some basics that even the most experienced attorneys overlook?
- What considerations are important to the bench that may not be obvious to counsel?
- What can you do to gain the judge’s respect and have a more impactful argument?
The Judge will begin with an overview and some vital, but often overlooked points to remember, such as the importance of understanding the preferences of the judge hearing your case, the duties of a magistrate versus a federal district judge, and the value of knowing the local rules, standing orders and appendices.
Judge Vazquez will then provide guidance that will help you better represent your clients – from tips for appearing in federal court for the first time, to how to write an effective brief, what to do and what not to do during an oral argument, the most common mistakes to avoid and the most important attributes of a federal court practitioner.
Additional topics of discussion include:
- Important points to keep in mind at the beginning of a case, including subject matter jurisdiction, motions for emergent relief, and removal to federal court;
- Essential considerations when filing and arguing motions, including motions better left unmade;
- Interacting with the court’s law clerks and staff;
- Ways to address a difficult adversary;
- Trial tips to make you a successful advocate; and
- Answers to some of your questions.