Governor Murphy Signs Executive Order Mandating Energy Master Plan Update
On May 23, 2018, Governor Murphy signed Executive Order 28 (the “Order”) which requires the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (“BPU”) to convene the Energy Master Plan Committee within 30 days for the purpose of completing and delivering a new Energy Master Plan (the “Plan”) on or before June 1, 2019. The Order specifically provides as follows:
- The Plan shall provide a comprehensive blueprint for the total conversion of New Jersey’s energy production profile to 100% clean energy sources on or before January 1, 2050, and shall further provide specific proposals to be implemented over the next ten years.
- The Plan shall incorporate the offshore wind development goals of Executive Order 8, which is 3,500 megawatts (“MW”) of offshore wind by 2030.
- The Plan shall include provisions guiding the continued development of solar energy in New Jersey, including community solar projects.
- The Plan shall include recommendations to position New Jersey as a leader in clean energy storage, including the establishment of goals of 600 MW of energy storage by January 1, 2021, and 2,000 MW of storage by January 1, 2030. The Plan shall also provide specific proposals to be implemented over the next ten years.
- The Plan shall explore methods to incentivize the use of clean energy and electric technology alternatives in New Jersey’s transportation sector and New Jersey’s ports.
The Order is further evidence of Governor Murphy’s commitment to transition New Jersey’s energy sector from traditional fossil fuel sources to clean and renewable energy sources.