Ronald Tobia represents individual employers, state authorities, large contractors and community associations in a myriad of labor disputes.
Ron has successfully negotiated collective bargaining agreements with almost every major trade union in New Jersey, New York, Connecticut and Pennsylvania. He brings to the bargaining table extensive experience in management labor relations in both the public and private sectors and in such major industries as construction, hotel and restaurant, and garment manufacturing.
Ron handles all types of litigation, including NLRB and PERC proceedings, strikes and picketing, federal and state labor, discrimination and harassment litigation, contract negotiations, administration and arbitrations. He also has considerable experience in ERISA litigation involving withdrawal liability assessment against companies.
In addition, Ron has extensive experience in the representation of Taft/Hartley Funds. For nearly 45 years, he has served as management trustee counsel to the Multiskilled Funds, and currently represents the Multiskilled Funds in addition to the IBEW Local 164 Funds.
Ron currently serves as Special Labor Counsel to the Utility and Transportation Contractors Association of New Jersey; a position he has held for nearly 40 years. Previously, he served for fifteen years as Special Labor Counsel and Special Litigation Counsel to the New Jersey Turnpike Authority (1991 to 2006), for five years to the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission (1999 to 2004) and for ten years to Fisher Island Florida Community Association (1999 to 2009). Ron also served as Special Labor Counsel to the Associated General Contractors of New Jersey (2000 to 2003).
Prior to joining CSG, Ron was a founding member of the law firm of Tobia & Sorger Esqs., LLC, but he began his career in labor law as Special Assistant to the National Labor Relations Board, Region 22. Following a 1969 clerkship with The Honorable Charles S. Joelson of the Superior Court of New Jersey, he served as attorney and mediator for the New Jersey Public Employment Relations Commission. Ron was also a Senior Partner with the law firm of Schwartz, Tobia & Stanziale, where he chaired the firm's Management Labor and Employment Law Department.
As a result of his broad experience in the management-labor relations area, Ron is frequently called upon by trade organizations to conduct seminars on labor relations issues. Ron has also served as a Labor Law Adjunct Professor at Rutgers University and Upsala College, and a lecturer in Labor Law for the Institute for Continuing Education.
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., 1969)
- Lafayette College (B.A., 1966)
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor Law - Management (2019-2020)
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- American Arbitration Association
- Industrial Relations Research Association
- Association for Fiduciary Education, Board of Directors
- State of New Jersey, Public Employment Relations Commission: Hearing Officer and Mediator (1970-1971)
- National Labor Relations Board, Region 22, Newark, New Jersey: Legal Assistant (1967-1968)