An experienced litigator, Robert Hornby represents national and regional banks and finance companies in all aspects of equipment leasing, asset based lending and civil litigation in New York and New Jersey state and federal courts. He regularly counsels clients on a wide range of matters unique to the equipment finance and leasing industry, from drafting master documentation to the enforcement of lessors’ and secured creditors’ rights.
In addition, Robert’s litigation practice extends to the areas of construction law, commercial contract, solar energy litigation, product liability/toxic tort, professional malpractice, trusts and estates and franchise law. He is directly responsible for managing numerous complex litigation matters, including, but not limited to, those involving construction defect, shareholder derivative, restrictive covenant, solar energy and governmental authority issues.
Robert received his law degree cum laude from Seton Hall Law School, and his undergraduate degree cum laude from the University of Arizona. He served as a Judicial Law Clerk for the Honorable David S. Baime, PJAD (ret.) in the New Jersey Appellate Division.
Prior to joining the firm, Robert was an associate at Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP.
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D., cum laude)
- University of Arizona (B.A., cum laude)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- Representing a national solar and energy development company in a contract dispute involving the failure to timely complete a large solar array
- Defending a global law firm in connection with a legal malpractice action arising from estate planning and corporate transactional matters
- Acted as national coordinating counsel for a major telecommunications company’s asbestos cases
- Represented a national technology company in a multi-million dollar dispute relating to the alleged wrongful breach and termination of a commercial lease agreement for an office complex
- Represented the county executive for one of New Jersey's largest counties in two matters of important constitutional significance wherein the executive's constitutional and statutory authority over critical personnel and budgeting issues was challenged
- Represented major financial institutions in various foreclosure and workout actions
- Developed, implemented and managed a subpoena compliance program for the nation's largest VOIP service provider.
- New Leaders of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal (2012)
- Cookies for Kids' Cancer, Board of Directors
- National Equipment Finance Association, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Equipment Leasing and Finance Association
- Essex County Bar Association
- Lease Enforcement Attorney Network
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Union County Bar Association
- Commercial Finance Association - New Jersey Chapter
- International Factoring Association - Northeast Chapter