Mitchell Berkey concentrates on all aspects of real estate ventures and transactions, including acquisitions, sales, financing, development, leasing, management, loan workouts, ownership restructuring and resolution of intra-ownership disputes. His extensive background spans all asset types, including office, retail, industrial, hospitality and mixed-use properties in markets across the United States.
With three decades of experience on all sides of the transaction table, Mitch brings a business-oriented approach to his legal practice. As an attorney, he has advised institutional and entrepreneurial real estate owners, managers, lenders, corporate real estate users and foreign governments. As an asset manager, he was responsible for the management of a national portfolio of office, retail, industrial and residential properties.
Mitch’s experience includes a wide range of complex transactions involving both the public and private sectors. Among the more unique projects in which Mitch played a direct role are the following:
- American Dream | Meadowlands™, projected to be one of the world's largest retail, entertainment and tourism centers
- E Walk, a New York Times Square redevelopment project
- The conversion of a residential condominium to an extended stay hotel
- The restructuring of a national syndication firm
- The acquisition, financing and remediation of Brownfield properties
- The master leasing of building facades for signage, billboard and telecommunications use
- The leasing and construction of foreign missions for sovereign nations
- The acquisition and sale of parking facilities
In December 2008, New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine appointed Mitch to the New Jersey Real Estate Advisory Board, which was created to help establish strategies to encourage economic growth in the state of New Jersey. Mitch chaired the Advisory Board’s Environmental Subcommittee.
Mitch has been an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Real Estate Development in the Master of Science in Real Estate Development program at Columbia University, and speaks often on real estate industry matters.
Mitch received his J.D. from Fordham University School of Law, where he was editor-in chief of the Fordham Urban Law Journal.
- Fordham University School of Law (J.D., 1983)
- Binghamton University, The State University of New York (B.S., 1979)
- New Jersey
- New York
- The National Law Journal, Real Estate and Construction Law Trailblazers (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law (2013-2022)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Real Estate (2016-2021)
- ROI-NJ, Real Estate Influencers List (2020)
- AV® Preeminent™ rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- DOROT, Board of Directors
- International Council of Shopping Centers
- NAIOP - New Jersey Chapter
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Real Estate Board of New York
- Urban Land Institute