Michael Naughton is a seasoned environmental litigator with 30 years of experience handling environmental issues, including regulatory compliance. He regularly advises on real estate transactions, providing environmental counseling with regard to the sale, purchasing, and leasing of commercial property. In addition, he advises clients with cleanups and redevelopment of contaminated properties on matters of environmental due diligence and contractual allocation of environmental risks in transactions. This includes disclosure laws and obligations regarding environmental conditions on real property, and permit requirements under state and federal regulatory laws.
He also has extensive OSHA experience and works with clients to develop strategies to enhance workplace safety to avoid OSHA violations. He has significant experience in defending clients facing OSHA citations, providing representation throughout the process from negotiating settlements to administrative litigation and appeal. As part of his practice, he (and CSG’s Environmental Group) also monitor and update clients on legislative and regulatory developments in the workplace health and safety arena.
Michael has litigated a wide variety of environmental cases involving various claims, such as natural resource damage claims throughout the United States. Michael maintains a national CERCLA practice and routinely appears before the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, New Jersey Office of Administrative Law and the New York Department of Environmental Conservation.
In addition, Michael handles energy and infrastructure projects, and climate change and sustainability matters. His background enables him to represent clients engaged in or considering business ventures in promising alternative energy fields such as solar, wind, geothermal, cogeneration, biofuels and biomass. Working closely with consultants, Michael also advises on the various aspects of energy management, including energy efficiency analysis, energy master planning and procurement of energy and green energy sources.
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D., 1982)
- Seton Hall University (B.A., 1977)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- Special Environmental Mediator for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Litigation - Environmental (2019-2021); Environmental Law (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Essex County Bar Association
- Mental Health Association in New Jersey, Board of Trustees
- Morris County Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Former Director of Environmental Law Section
- New York State Bar Association