Matthew E. Foreman advises businesses on the tax effects of a variety of corporate transactions, including taxable and tax-free reorganizations, mergers, sales, and acquisitions. He designs and implements tax-efficient structures for U.S.-based businesses to expand abroad and invest in foreign joint ventures. Matt drafts tax memoranda and opinions on a variety of subjects, including tax-free reorganizations, tax-efficient return of capital to owners, Qualified Small Business stock, and various state pass-through entity taxes. He defends clients from audits from the IRS and various state tax agencies, including appealing audit determinations. Matt advises clients on a variety of tax issues related to cryptocurrencies, including initial coin offerings (ICOs), taxability of staking and air drops, and the imposition of Sales and Use taxes on the issuance of non-fungible tokens (NFTs). He drafts tax portions of Operating and Shareholder Agreements for businesses in different industries. Matt has extensive experience in a variety of SALT issues, especially New York State residency audits and state Sales and Use tax nexus issues post-Wayfair.
Matt started his career at Big 4 accounting firms where he advised Fortune 500 companies on a variety of tax matters. He is active in the New York City Bar Association, where he is the Secretary of the State and Local Tax Committee, as well as a Member of the Task Force on Digital Technologies and the Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Committee. He volunteers as a Helpline Volunteer with Savvy Ladies, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that brings financial planning education to women.
Matt holds an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law and a J.D. from Penn State Dickinson School of Law. He received his B.S. from the University at Albany, State University of New York.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 2015)
- Penn State Dickinson Law (J.D., 2007)
- State University of New York at Albany (B.S., Business Administration, concentration in Finance, cum laude, 2004)
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
Savvy Ladies: Starting a New Business? Get the 411 on Taxes
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Taxation (2020-2022)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, Taxation (2018-2019)
- New York City Bar Association: Secretary, State and Local Tax Committee; Member, Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Committee; Member, Task Force on Digital Technologies
- New York State Bar Association, Tax Section
- Savvy Ladies, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that brings financial planning education to women, Helpline Volunteer