Matthew E. Foreman provides counsel on a broad range of tax issues to ensure that clients understand the tax implications of their operations and transactions, comply with federal and state and local tax laws and regulations, reduce the risk of a tax audit, and improve efficiency by eliminating unnecessary structures. He advises clients on domestic and cross-border structures and restructuring after raising capital funding (friends/family, VC, private investors, public companies, etc.). Matt assists clients with IRS issues, including audit defense, installment agreements, and Voluntary Disclosure programs. He is knowledgeable of SALT issues, particularly Sales and Use tax Nexus and Marketplace Facilitator rules post-Wayfair. Matt drafts and reviews tax portions of Operating and Shareholder Agreements for businesses in different industries.
Matt started his career at Big 4 accounting firms where he advised Fortune 500 companies on a variety of tax matters. He is active in the New York City Bar Association, where he is the Secretary of the State and Local Tax Committee and the Chair of the Subcommittee on Legal Standards for Judicial Review, as well as a member of the Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Committee. He volunteers as a Helpline Volunteer with Savvy Ladies, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that brings financial planning education to women. He has been rated as a Super Lawyer in the field of Taxation in 2020, and as a Rising Star in 2018 and 2019.
Matt holds an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law and a J.D. from Penn State Dickinson School of Law. He received his B.S. from the University at Albany, State University of New York.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 2015)
- Penn State Dickinson Law (J.D., 2007)
- State University of New York at Albany (B.S., Business Administration, concentration in Finance, cum laude, 2004)
- New York
- U.S. Tax Court
- New York Super Lawyers, Taxation (2020)
- New York Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, Taxation (2018-2019)
- New York City Bar Association
- Secretary, State and Local Tax Committee
- Chairperson, State and Local Tax Committee, Subcommittee on Legal Standards for Judicial Review
- Member, Emerging Companies and Venture Capital Committee
- New York State Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section
- Savvy Ladies, Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that brings financial planning education to women
- Helpline Volunteer