Matt Beck, an accomplished trial attorney, joined the firm as a member of the firm in 2013. His practice focuses on white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations and complex civil litigation. While Matt is always ready to take a case to verdict, he has been described as a “problem solver” who is willing and able to find creative solutions to his clients’ issues. Often that means that clients hire Matt not for litigation related matters, but to provide strategic advice and counseling on complicated business issues. As set forth in the following quotes from clients, Matt’s hands-on style engenders extraordinary loyalty as he handles complex, and potentially life-altering cases with grace and empathy:
- “As much as I had experienced in my life, I didn’t know who I was looking for in an attorney until I met Matt.”
- “He bought into my case the second I met him, and he took it personally; when I realized Matt cared about me personally, it meant the world to me … and he was the first one to do that.”
- “Matt has a rare combination of understanding of the legal process, intellectual knowledge and personal concern.”
- “He has been exemplary in his commercial understanding of things.”
Before joining the firm, Matt served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of New Jersey where he held various positions, including most recently Chief of the General Crimes Unit. While at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Matt investigated and prosecuted a number of significant white collar cases, including cases involving securities fraud, insider trading, corporate and bank fraud, mail and wire fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, cybercrime, identity theft, tax fraud, money laundering and obstruction of justice. As an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Matt successfully tried a number of important white collar cases and led the successful investigation and prosecution of a multi-decade, $37 million insider trading scheme that resulted in the longest-ever prison sentence for insider trading. His experience includes working with civil regulatory agencies, such as the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).
Prior to joining the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Matt was an associate at Cooley LLP (f/k/a Kronish Lieb Weiner & Hellman LLP) in New York where he worked on complex civil and criminal matters, including one of the largest FCPA cases ever brought against an individual.
Matt received his J.D., cum laude, from Georgetown University Law Center, where he was the project editor of the American Criminal Law Review.
- Georgetown University Law Center (J.D., cum laude, 2001)
- University of Wisconsin (B.A., 1998)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Representing multiple doctors in U.S Attorney’s Office investigation into marketing practices of a medical device company.
- Representing generic pharmaceutical company in criminal and civil false claims investigations being conducted by the United States Department of Justice and the U.S. Attorney’s Office relating to the company’s compliance with the Trade Agreements Act.
- Representing internationally based corporate executive in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation.
- Representing pain management doctor in nationwide investigation into the marketing practices of pharmaceutical company that sold fentanyl-based product.
- Representing multiple companies and individuals in separate criminal and civil federal investigations relating to disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) and service-disabled veteran-owned small business (SDVOSB) set-aside procurement programs run by the federal government.
- Defending former police officer charged federally with conspiracy to defraud police department and municipality.
- Representing former bank president in bank fraud investigation being conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Representing doctor facing potential kickback and tax fraud related charges.
- Representing foreign-born scientist and university professor in United States Attorney’s Office investigation into use of federal grants.
- Successfully reduced the ten-plus years of exposure client charged federally with trade-based money laundering originally faced and obtained a sentence of time served (1 day) and no probation.
- Conducted internal investigation into numerous allegations of impropriety by senior administrators at community college which resulted in the issuance of a 200 plus page report to the college’s board of trustees.
- Conducted internal investigation for Fortune 100 company into millions of dollars of potentially improper vendor payments.
- Defended client charged by both the United States Attorney’s Office and the SEC for participating in a multi-million dollar insider trading ring.
- Obtained split sentence of six months incarceration and six months house arrest for client charged by the United States Attorney’s Office with participating in multi-million dollar mortgage fraud scheme that involved dozens of properties.
- Represented large construction company in a false claims investigation being conducted by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office.
- Represented foreign national in a national security investigation conducted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represented a national environmental testing laboratory in a false claims investigation conducted by the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office.
- Represented corporate board member in investigation conducted by the New Jersey Comptroller’s Office.
- Represented client in an investigation conducted by the SEC into the secondary life insurance marketplace.
- Advised corporation in reporting multi-million dollar employee embezzlement to federal law enforcement authorities.
- Representing county prosecutor’s office, prosecutor, and multiple prosecutor’s office employees in defense of civil rights and tort claims arising out of high-profile investigation into physical assaults within a high school football program.
- Representing public university in defense of claims it violated the constitutional rights of multiple students during the course of an on-campus sexual assault investigation.
- Representing corporation in multi-million dollar breach of contract dispute arising from failed biodiesel transaction.
- Quickly obtained injunctive relief in arbitration that re-installed client as board member of privately held company, in which he owned a minority interest after other board members improperly removed him from board.
- Represented owner of numerous luxury automobile dealerships in a franchise litigation related to the ownership of a prominent Mercedes-Benz dealership.
- Represented the current developer of the American Dream project in litigation against the New York Giants and Jets.
- Successfully obtained a pre-answer dismissal of breach of contract action against international shipping company.
- Represented partners in real estate litigation over ownership of an apartment building.
- Regularly represents restaurants and bars in actions brought by townships to suspend clients’ liquor licenses.
- Successfully obtained compensation for senior executive from his prior employer who fraudulently induced him to accept an insufficient termination package.
- Represented international insurance brokerage firm and its president and chief operating officer in a restrictive covenant and trade secret litigation.
- Best Lawyers in America, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2019-2020)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Criminal Defense: White Collar (2019)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Litigation: White-Collar & Government Investigations (2017-2019)
- New Leaders of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal (2014)
- The First Tee of Raritan Valley, Counsel to the Board
- Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers of New Jersey, Trustee