Marie Mathews focuses her practice on complex commercial matters in New York and New Jersey federal and state courts, as well as forums for alternative dispute resolution. Marie has represented pharmaceutical, healthcare, technology, construction and financial companies as well as law firms, among others, in a wide array of matters including antitrust and intellectual property cases, employment litigation, shareholder disputes, restrictive covenant cases, and professional malpractice matters. Using her experience gained as the deputy general counsel of CSG and a member of the firm’s ethics and conflicts committee, she offers lawyers and law firms insight into their ethical obligations and represents them in legal malpractice cases. Marie has extensive experience in navigating complex e-discovery issues, including managing collections and productions in a cost-effective manner. For intellectual property matters, her experience includes music licensing, stock index and trademark litigation. In addition, Marie’s experience includes corporate internal investigations involving kick-back schemes, commercial bribery and potential antitrust violations.
Prior to joining the firm, Marie was an associate at Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP. She received her J.D. from University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School and her B.A., magna cum laude, from George Washington University.
- University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School (J.D., 2003)
- George Washington University (B.A., magna cum laude, 1999)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
Among Marie’s experience are the following:
- Representing shareholder and related companies in a 47-day bench trial involving claims of financial mismanagement and diversion of corporate assets.
- Defending a multi-national law firm in connection with a legal malpractice action arising from estate planning and corporate transactional matters.
- Obtaining summary judgment in a dispute concerning the transfer of highly valuable shares in a cooperative apartment building in Manhattan.
- Managing e-discovery for the developer of the $1 billion American Dream project at the Meadowlands in a contractual dispute with the New York Giants and Jets.
- Representing foreign technology firm in contract and trade secret litigation brought by its minority owner.
- Compelling class action plaintiffs to arbitrate antitrust claims against health insurance company and related entities.
- Securing summary judgment for biotechnology firm in antitrust suit relating to invalidated patent.
- Morris/Essex Health & Life Magazine, Top Lawyers, Professional Malpractice Non-Medical Defense (2021)
- ROI-NJ, Influencers: Women in Business List (2021)
- Future Star, Benchmark Litigation (2009)
- American Bar Association
- Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Essex County Bar Association
- Greater Newark Holiday Fund, Board of Trustees
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Women in eDiscovery