Margaret O’Rourke Wood, a member of the Employment Law Group, practices in the areas of employment and commercial litigation in the state and federal courts of New York and New Jersey. She also represents clients in matters before various administrative agencies, including the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, the New Jersey Department of Labor & Workforce Development and the New York Division of Human Rights.
Peggy defends discrimination, harassment and whistleblower claims, wrongful discharge, tort and contract claims, and also has extensive experience in litigating restrictive covenant and trade secret matters. Her litigation of complex commercial matters involves breach of contract claims and partnership disputes.
In addition to her litigation practice, Peggy regularly counsels clients on employment law issues, such as Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), wage and hour requirements and separation agreements. In conjunction with her counseling, she develops and drafts employee handbooks to fit her clients’ business needs. She also investigates complaints of harassment and discrimination, and advises clients on conducting such investigations.
Peggy is a cum laude graduate of Seton Hall Law School and a cum laude graduate of Iona College. She served as law clerk to the Honorable Seymour Margulies of the Superior Court of New Jersey, Hudson County, Law Division.
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D., cum laude, 2000)
- Iona College (B.A., cum laude, 1997)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Some of Peggy's representative matters include:
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a client in a matter venued in the District of New Jersey alleging violations of the New Jersey Franchise Practices Act, the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination, breach of contract, fraud and breach of fiduciary duty
- Successfully moving to dismiss a complaint alleging promissory estoppel, tortious interference and fraud based upon the plaintiff’s contradictory prior sworn statements, which was affirmed on appeal by the New Jersey Appellate Division
- Successfully transferring a matter from the state court of Massachusetts to the District of New Jersey pursuant to a forum selection clause in an employment agreement and then successfully moving to dismiss plaintiff's Massachusetts Wage Act and fraud claims
- Obtaining summary judgement on behalf of a medical provider in a matter alleging retaliation under the New Jersey Law Against Discrimination
- Representing an executive in an appeal to the Board of Review of the Department of Labor with respect to the denial of unemployment benefits and obtaining a large mediated settlement for the client in connection with a partnership dispute with her former employer in the Superior Court of New Jersey
- Successfully defending clients against discrimination claims brought before the New Jersey Division of Civil Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
- Obtaining dismissal of a retaliation claim against a financial institution before the New York Department of Labor
- Representing executives in negotiations of employment agreements and separation agreements
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Labor and Employment (2013-2017)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers - Rising Stars, Employment Litigation: Defense, Employment & Labor (2009-2015)
- New Leaders of the Bar, New Jersey Law Journal (2014)
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association