John McKinney delivers more than 40 years of experience in representing corporate clients facing serious environmental and occupational safety and health issues. He brings an understanding of the client’s perspective – gained from serving as in-house counsel earlier in his law career – to his law practice. An experienced Superfund, Spill Act and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) practitioner, John represents companies in connection with site remediations and the allocation of remediation costs associated with waste sites located in New Jersey and elsewhere.
John also handles regulatory compliance matters and government enforcement actions relating to air and water emissions, as well as hazardous waste handling. He represents clients in obtaining environmental permits and, in connection with permits, John handles historic preservation issues arising from potential encroachments on historic sites. He assists clients in connection with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) inspections, citations and issue resolution negotiations, and advises on compliance with specific OSHA regulations.
His litigation experience extends from being a municipal prosecutor to representing parties in complex multiparty cases and court-approved Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR). Over the course of his career, John has been adverse to – and worked with – numerous environmental lawyers, consultants and government regulators.
John is a former trustee of The Drumthwacket Foundation, curator of the official residence of the governor of New Jersey, and a former member of the New Jersey Historic Sites Council.
- The College of William & Mary - Marshall–Wythe School of Law (J.D., 1973)
- Principia College (B.A., 1970)
- New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition (NELMCC) Distinguished Contributor Award (2012)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Environmental, Environmental Litigation (2005-2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Environmental Litigation (1991-2020)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Environmental Law (2009-2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- The Fellows of the American Bar Foundation
- The Justice Stewart G. Pollock Environmental American Inn of Court, Charter Master, Former Programming Chair
- American College of Environmental Lawyers, Fellow; Member, Board of Regents
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, Former Chair
- American Bar Association, Section of Natural Resources, Energy and Environmental Law - Solid and Hazardous Waste Committee, Former Vice Chair