Heidi I. Hansen is a member with the firm’s Trusts & Estates and Tax Groups whose practice focuses on complex estate planning, gift tax planning and estate administration matters. She assists individuals, businesses and estates with tax audits and in the United States Tax Court; collaborates frequently with white collar defense attorneys in defending criminal tax matters; and helps form, and advises, nonprofit organizations.
Heidi began her legal career in private practice before joining the Office of Chief Counsel at the Internal Revenue Service, where she handled all aspects of United States Tax Court cases including discovery, trial and settlement negotiations. There, she also provided advice and assistance to the Department of Justice and the United States Attorney’s Office in tax cases filed in District Court and the Court of Claims. In addition, she provided extensive guidance to revenue officers relating to their tax collection efforts.
Heidi holds an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law and a J.D. from Rutgers Law School, where she graduated with honors. She received her B.S. from Weber State University.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M., 2005)
- Rutgers Law School (J.D., with honors, 2001)
- Weber State University (B.S., 1997)
- New Jersey
- New York
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Tax (2022)
- Morris/Essex Health & Life Magazine, Top Lawyers, Tax Law (2020-2022)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers – Rising Stars, Estate Planning and Probate Law (2011)
- Order of the Coif
- Alpha Kappa Delta
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association