Deborah Nelson, a Member with CSG's Family Law Group, has practiced family law for more than 35 years and believes in divorce with mutual respect and civility. In addition to divorce and custody matters, Deb’s family law practice includes adoptions, child and adult guardianships, relocations, premarital agreements, enforcement of divorce judgments and appeals. Her reputation is one of experience, knowledge of the law and court system, compassion and dedication to achieving optimal outcomes for her clients, in terms of their long-term financial protection and most important, the welfare of their children.
Some cases must go to trial, like the international kidnapping case that Deb tried and won for her client over a 12-day period in Bergen County Superior Court. Cases involving custody and parenting time must sometimes go to trial, as well, to promote and preserve a child’s best interests. Most cases, however, resolve amicably utilizing alternative dispute resolution processes such as mediation and collaborative law. Deb is frequently retained as an accredited mediator and collaborative law-certified practitioner. She is also listed on the Court-approved roster of economic mediators, volunteers to settle cases as a panelist in the Court-sponsored Early Settlement Panel Program, serves on the New Jersey Supreme Court Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee and has served in leadership roles on the New Jersey State Bar Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee.
Deb strongly believes that by amicably resolving disputes, parties can minimize the impact of divorce on their children and co-parent more effectively during and after divorce, while at the same time achieving their long-term financial goals.
Deb is a former President of the Morris County Bar Association and President of the Morris County Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Bar, and has served on numerous Bar Association Committees. She has both lectured and written on numerous family law issues for attorneys and for individuals contemplating divorce.
In continued efforts to give back, Deb volunteers with Susan G. Komen, an organization dedicated to eliminating breast cancer in women and men.
- Seton Hall University School of Law (J.D., 1985)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (, 1972)
- Rutgers University (Specialization Certification, Divorce Mediation)
- New Jersey (1985)
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States Supreme Court (2003)
- Morris/Essex Health & Life Magazine, Top Lawyers, Arbitration and Mediation (2020-2022)
- Morris County Bar Association, Women Pioneers in the Law Award (2019)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Family Law (2005)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- Supreme Court, Committee on Mediator Standards; Committee on Women in the Court; Committee on Complementary Dispute Resolution
- District X Fee Arbitration Foundation, Former Chairperson
- Morris County Bar Association, Former President and Trustee; Continuing Legal Education Committee Chair
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Dispute Resolution Section and Special Committee on Dispute Resolution, Former Vice-Chair; Basic Interdisciplinary Collaborative Family Law Certification
- American Bar Association
- Worrall F. Mountain Inn of Court, Master
- Vincent J. Apruzzese High School Mock Trial Competition Judge
- Morris County Legal Aid, Trustee
- Morristown Club Board of Governors, Vice President
- Susan G. Komen North Jersey, Board Member
- Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternate Dispute Resolution