Deborah Nelson, a Member with CSG’s Family Law Group, believes that a strong attorney-client relationship and timely, effective communication produce optimal legal outcomes. Her reputation is one of experience, knowledge of the law and court system, compassion and dedication to her clients.
For more than 30 years, Deborah has helped resolve a range of family law issues – including divorce, custody, paternity, termination of parental rights, interstate child removal, international child abduction, adoption, guardianship, prenuptial agreements and post-divorce enforcement and modification of judgements.
In addition to her trial experience, Deborah has extensive experience in mediation and is certified in Collaborative Law. She believes that by amicably resolving disputes, parties can minimize the impact of divorce on their children and co-parent more effectively post-divorce.
Legal and public service have been important aspects of Deborah’s career. She has served as President of the Morris County Bar Association and Bar Foundation, as well as on numerous Bar Association Committees. A frequent lecturer on family law and tax issues, Deborah has been appointed by the court as a guardian for children and mediator.
- Seton Hall Law School (J.D., 1985)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (, 1972)
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- Morris/Essex Health & Life Magazine, Top Lawyers, Arbitration and Mediation (2020)
- Morris County Bar Association, Woman Pioneer in the Law Award (2019)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Family Law (2005)
- Early Settlement Panel Program – Morris County, Blue Ribbon Panelist
- Supreme Court
- Committee on Mediator Standards, Member
- Committee on Women in the Court, Member
- Committee on Complementary Dispute Resolution, Member
- District X Fee Arbitration Foundation, Former Chairperson
- Morris County Bar Association, Former President and Trustee
- Morris County Bar Foundation, Former President
- Continuing Legal Education Committee, Chair
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Dispute Resolution Section and Special Committee on Dispute Resolution, Former Vice-Chair
- Worrall F. Mountain Inn of Court, Master
- Vincent J. Apruzzese High School Mock Trial Competition, Judge
- Morris County Legal Aid, Trustee
- Morristown Club Board of Governors, Vice President
- Susan G. Komen North Jersey, Board Member
- Marie L. Garibaldi American Inn of Court for Alternate Dispute Resolution, Member