Daniel A. Schwartz currently serves as the Chair of Strategic Planning and Development for the firm. In this role, he combines his experience in firm leadership and his strong financial, operational and management background to oversee the largest project in the firm’s history – the custom design and build-out of the firm’s new 110,000 square-foot, state-of-the-art headquarters.
Previously, Dan served for six years as the first full-time Managing Member of the firm. During his tenure, he led the firm through tremendous growth in revenue, headcount and geographic footprint – expanding its New York presence and recruiting dozens of well-respected attorneys across the firm’s practices, as well as strategically adding new practices in furtherance of the firm’s commitment to anticipating client needs and serving as a fully integrated business advisor.
Dan led CSG Law’s transition to a corporate management model – formalizing practice groups, firm leadership and key committees – and empowered the next generation of firm leaders with responsibilities and roles commensurate with their skills, talents and futures with the firm. Under his leadership, the firm leveraged these attorneys’ extensive backgrounds as a platform from which to proactively develop key additions to its array of practice and industry groups in an ever-changing legal marketplace. In addition, he recruited top-level administrative talent, developing a C-suite of leaders to support the firm and provide the tools necessary for continued growth.
Recognizing the organizational value that diversity brings to bear, the firm also doubled down on its commitment to workplace inclusivity under his leadership – formalizing its Diversity & Inclusion Committee in support of the recruitment, development and retention of minority attorneys and professional staff, as well as expanding an already active Women’s Initiative program charged with equipping the firm’s women attorneys with the resources needed to succeed in their careers, communities and lives.
In addition to his devotion to the firm’s clients and employees, Dan also committed to giving back to the community. The firm’s employees have been empowered to lead charitable projects and champion meaningful causes – both internally and externally – for organizations throughout the region.
A corporate attorney by practice, Dan joined the firm as an Associate in 1983 and quickly progressed through the ranks – becoming a Member in 1984 and Chair of CSG’s Corporate & Securities Practice in 1998. Throughout his career, he has been recognized as a leading corporate, healthcare and mergers & acquisitions lawyer by such organizations as The Best Lawyers in America®, New Jersey Super Lawyers and Chambers USA.
Dan’s illustrious career as an accomplished attorney and business leader in New Jersey has earned him a place in the NJBIZ Power 100, Power Law 50 and Icon Honors lists.
Dan graduated summa cum laude from the University of Pennsylvania where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received his J.D. from Columbia Law School. While at Columbia, Dan was a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar and served as the writing and research editor for the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems. He earned an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University.
- New York University School of Law (LL.M. in Taxation, 1980)
- Columbia Law School (J.D., 1977)
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business (B.A., B.S.E., 1974)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
Dan’s recent transactions include:
- Representing a privately held corporate group in an asset sale to a competitor involving more than 75 fast food franchises
- Leading a team of attorneys in the sale of the stock of a distributor of generic pharmaceutical products to a private equity group, the financing of which involved both senior and mezzanine lenders
- Participating in the acquisition by a private real estate investment team of a controlling interest of the Meadowlands Xanadu™ project in northern New Jersey
- Serving as counsel to the federal monitor in connection with a deferred prosecution agreement entered into between the U.S. Attorney for New Jersey and a company involved in the hip and knee orthopedics industry alleged to have violated certain federal health care laws
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law; Health Care Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2008-2023)
- ROI-NJ, Influencers Power List (2020-2021)
- NJBIZ, Power 100 (2018-2021)
- NJBIZ, Power 50 (2019-2021)
- New Jersey Law Journal, New Jersey Trailblazer (2020)
- NJBIZ, Icon Honors Award (2018-2019)
- New Jersey Super Lawyers, Business/Corporate; Mergers & Acquisitions; Health Care (2005-2006; 2011-2014; 2017-2018)
- Chambers USA, New Jersey Corporate/M&A (2016-2017)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Rating
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Health Lawyers Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association