Today’s regulatory environment is increasingly complex and includes a host of federal agencies and regulators: the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, among others. Adding to the complexity, state attorneys general (AGs) are active in enforcing their states’ data breach and privacy laws, false claims acts, consumer protection laws, environmental laws and even antitrust laws. AGs are increasingly acting in concert with one another – and sometimes federal regulators – to share resources, augment their investigative capacity and ultimately increase their prosecutorial footprint.
CSG offers a dedicated State Attorneys General Practice led by former United States Senator and New Jersey Attorney General Jeffrey Chiesa. Additionally, our State Attorneys General Practice features lawyers with deep connections in Congress, at the various federal regulatory agencies and strong relationships with current and former attorneys general across the country. CSG’s practice is enhanced by Lee Vartan, who served as New Jersey’s chief deputy attorney general – the state’s second-highest ranking official.
CSG’s State Attorneys General Practice is wide-ranging:
- Regularly interact with attorneys general, chief deputies and attorney general offices across the country through our involvement with the National Association of Attorneys General, the Republican Attorneys General Association and the Democratic Attorneys General Association
- Keep abreast of enforcement trends – most notably including areas and industries where multi-state investigations are likely to proliferate
- Engage with attorneys general on state statutes, regulations, policies and enforcement trends on behalf of clients
- Represent regional, national and international companies in investigations spearheaded by attorneys general both acting alone and in concert
- Counsel clients on preventing an investigation launched by a single attorney general from developing into a multi-state investigation
Multi-state attorney general investigations, already numerous, are sure to proliferate over the next few years as states attempt to fill the perceived enforcement void left by the current administration. CSG’s State Attorneys General team is uniquely positioned to handle these investigations – having ourselves built them in our former careers and understanding the confluence of law, politics, media and policy needed to efficiently resolve them. We do it every day.