Environmental compliance is now a major consideration for everyone. The stakes are high. So too are the expectations of the government and the public. From tighter pollution controls to protecting the public against hazards created decades ago, today’s requirements on the local, state and federal levels are extremely complex.
CSG’s Environmental Group understands the laws and issues, as well as the importance of addressing them in a client-focused, cost-effective manner. Handling litigation, regulatory and transactional matters for clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to individual homeowners, the firm routinely partners with management and legal teams to identify gaps, risks and best practices. Our representation also includes court-ordered and private alternative dispute resolution proceedings.
Our attorneys are active, visible members of the environmental law and business communities, and enjoy taking on tough cases. Our knowledge and experience – in and out of the courtroom – have earned the respect of some of the most prominent lawyers, regulators, legislators and consultants in the field.
A further testament to their thought leadership and authority, the firm’s environmental attorneys provide real-time insight on the environmental issues affecting companies via CSG’s Environmental Law Blog.
Our environmental experience includes a wide variety of representations, including matters involving:
- Energy & Utilities
- Environmental Enforcement
- Environmental Insurance Coverage
- Environmental Litigation
- Environmental Regulatory Compliance & Counseling
- Environmental Transactions
- Occupational Safety & Health Compliance
We regularly appear before state and federal courts, and work before agencies including:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (DEP)
- New Jersey Office of Administrative Law
- New Jersey Board of Public Utilities
- New York Department of Environmental Conservation
- New York Office of Administrative Hearings
- Army Corps of Engineers
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- County Boards of Health
Drawing from our deep understanding of the government offices, legislators and agencies we interact with, we provide strategic, proactive counsel critical to developing effective policies, processes and procedures.
The Group is widely regarded as one of the leading environmental practices in New Jersey and New York, and has earned top honors in both Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and U.S. News/Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” rankings.
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s Environmental Group has worked with clients on numerous important matters, including:
- Represented Hartz Mountain Industries, Inc. in connection with obtaining permits from the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection for the construction of high-rise buildings along the Hudson River in Weehawken, NJ
- Represented CenterPoint Properties in the negotiation of environmental provisions of the purchase agreement, due diligence and environmental insurance for a $21.8M commercial property acquisition in Carlstadt, NJ
- Representing residential and commercial developers in lawsuits against the United States pending in US Court of Federal Claims and United States District Court arising from the government's sale of the former Raritan Arsenal with buried unexploded ordnance and hazardous substances
- Defending residential developers sued by current homeowners due to the discovery of historic pesticides resulting from the prior agricultural use of the property
- Appointed and served as liaison counsel to a group of generator defendants in the Pennsauken Landfill litigation. In this capacity, our attorneys were responsible for receiving and distributing daily correspondence and representing the positions of the various group members before the Court, Special Master and other liaison counsel.
- Representing numerous parties in the "Tierra Litigation" involving cost recovery litigation by the State of New Jersey against pesticide manufactures that disposed of their dioxin wastes directly to the Passaic River. The State seeks past and future investigation and remediation costs, plus Natural Resource Damage assessment costs, involving the Passaic River, the Newark Bay, parts of the Hackensack River, Kill Van Kull and Arthur Kill.
- In connection with an EPA contention that a witness identified a client's facility as having sent hazardous materials to a site, conducted and presented factual research to the EPA proving the witness had mistaken another facility as being a facility owned or operated by our client
- In connection with a multi-party Superfund site litigation, represented a client through an intensive discovery and ADR process that resulted in a settlement favorable to the client, taking a leading role at all stages of the litigation, ADR and final settlement among the numerous PRPs
- Negotiated with the private party plaintiffs in a CERCLA action, resulting in a favorable settlement for our client in a case days away from trial
- Representing a manufacturer in the Shpack Landfill Superfund Site involving hazardous substances investigation and remediation overseen by the US EPA and radioactive materials being primarily managed by the US Army Corps of Engineers pursuant to the FUSRAP program
- Represented multiple owners and operators of a steel rolling mill in a litigation brought by the State of New Jersey to recover response costs related to alleged VOC contamination of a public supply well near the site. The matter was settled prior to trial.
- Played a leading role in the mediation of a remediation case stayed pending mediation, resulting in a favorable settlement for our client
- Defended client in response to various odor complaints from neighbors and regulatory agencies, ultimately obtaining withdrawal of odor claims
- Representing a petroleum company in connection with a substantial oil spill. We negotiated the settlement of all claims and resolved related criminal investigation all on favorable terms.
- Representing a liquid bulk terminal company on all environmental matters, including remediation, permitting, auditing, self-disclosure and CERCLA matters in multiple states
- Assisting a client in obtaining regulatory approvals for construction of a power line
- Assisted client in obtaining a favorable settlement in a significant natural resource damages (NRD) matter involving two sites and adjacent waterbodies
- Representing client in cleanup cost recovery cases in New Jersey, New York, Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Louisiana, California, Rhode Island, Indiana, Missouri, Colorado, Massachusetts and Florida