Privacy & Data Security
Protecting personal data and information is one of the most important concerns a company or organization faces in today’s business world. Advances in technology, coupled with the vast storage capacity of digital media, heighten the importance of implementing comprehensive measures to protect against loss, criminal interception and misuse. It is also imperative that companies know what action is needed to comply with new – and much stricter – national and state regulations that define procedures, responsibilities and liability for personal information security and theft.
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s Privacy & Data Security Group knows the risks our clients face in connection with financial, health and other personal information security issues. Because we are at the forefront of these sensitive matters, we proactively counsel clients to avoid serious financial risk and legal repercussions.
Our attorneys provide counsel regarding clients' obligations under the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and the newest state laws, such as the New York State Information Security Breach and Notification Act and the New Jersey Identity Theft Prevention Act. We also advise clients in matters pertaining to evolving HIPAA regulations and consequences resulting from the theft or accidental release of personal health data.
- 11/2/2017: Women Presidents' Organization Colorado Chapters Luncheon
- 9/20/2017: IAMCP NJ Meeting - Cyber Crime Defense
- 6/12/2017: Anatomy of a Breach Response
- 5/3/2017: Running a Successful Solo or Small Firm
- 4/21/2017: Cybersecurity Summit
- 4/17/2017: Middle Market Play Book: Help Your Clients Grow and Thrive in 2017
- 3/22/2017: Connected Medical Devices loT - Impact to Patient Safety
- 3/16/2017: Cybersecurity Concerns for Businesses
- 12/6/2016: Employers Breakfast Briefing: The Five Critical Issues in Cybersecurity and Privacy
- 12/1/2016: Learn How to Prepare for Cyber Attacks
- 9/13/2016: Cyber Security and Sustainability Panel
- 6/8/2016: Cyber Attacks / Cyber Security, An Ounce of Prevention Minimizes the Impact of the Inevitable Attack
- 5/5/2016 Healthcare Data Under Attack
- Ethics Presentation for In-House Counsel: Part Four of A Complimentary CLE Series
- In-House Attorney-Client Privilege and Disclosure Issues: Part Two of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- RPCs and the In-House Attorney: Part One of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- Proposed New York Legislation: Cybersecurity Is Not Just an Issue for Financial Services and Insurance Companies
- Affirmative Data Security Obligations for Business
- New Jersey Adopts Personal Information and Privacy Protection Act Restricting Retailers' Right to Request and Retain Customer Information
- Patch Early, Patch Often: If You Hit "Remind Me Later", It May Be Too Late
- Ransomware: To Pay or Not to Pay, That is the Question...
- CSG Corporate & Securities Insights Q2 | 2017
- WannaCry Explained
- New York State Cybersecurity Regulations Regarding Cyber and Data Privacy Obligations Applicable to Banking, Insurance and Financial Services
- CSG Corporate & Securities Insights Q1 | 2017
- Controversial New York Cybersecurity Regulations Revised
- New York Cybersecurity Regulations Delayed
- Beyond Yahoo!...Safety Tips
- You Check the Date on Your Milk Carton...But When Did You Last Check the Date on Your Website Policies
- Pending NY State Proposed Cybersecurity Requirements for "Covered Entities"
- Immediate Action Required under HIPAA/HITECH Final Rule
- HITECH Act Breach Notification Standards
- HITECH Act Significantly Impacts the World of Business Associates
- Becoming "HITECH" -- The Evolving State of Health Information Privacy and Security