Real Estate, Development & Land Use
Today’s complex real estate market is more demanding than ever. The stakes are higher and the risks are greater, but so are the potential rewards.
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s Real Estate, Development and Land Use Group combines experience, creativity and business acumen to skillfully navigate clients through the multitude of real estate and regulatory issues involved in the acquisition, financing, development, redevelopment, leasing and management of property. Our results-driven, transaction-oriented practice is equipped to take on the full spectrum of real estate matters facing our clients at every phase of the real estate cycle, from acquisition and financing, to large-scale development, to dispute resolution.
Active nationally, regionally and locally, our attorneys represent owners, investors, developers, asset managers, lenders, commercial and retail tenants, construction professionals and community associations. Our extensive real estate capabilities include:
- Project development and redevelopment
- Leasing and property management
- Land use
- Condominiums and planned real estate development
- Debt restructuring
- Dispute resolution
- Real estate litigation
- Tax appeals
The scope of our practice extends well past the bounds of traditional real estate practitioners. Having the full range of disciplines necessary to execute complex transactions and address the full gamut of real estate-related issues allows us to offer clients counsel on such wide ranging matters as debt and equity offerings, environmental remediation, joint ventures and tax structuring, loan workouts and resolution of disputes among co-venturers.
We draw upon the knowledge of our experienced land use attorneys to obtain necessary approvals and variances as well as to resolve issues before agencies and boards at all levels of government. Our clients benefit from the counsel offered by our colleagues in our Corporate and Securities and Tax Groups regarding deal structuring and tax avoidance. Working hand-in-hand with our Environmental, Government and Regulatory Affairs and Litigation attorneys, we guide our clients through environmental and regulatory hurdles and carefully and efficiently deal with the variety of real estate-related disputes that may pose a threat to their assets.
The attorneys in our real estate practice take great pride in working closely with clients and delivering the highest quality legal services on a cost-effective basis. Our experience through all cycles of the real estate market, our blend of technical proficiency and business judgment, and our commitment to excellence allows us to provide the comprehensive array of legal services so critical in today’s competitive marketplace. In addition, we are recognized as having one of the leading Real Estate practices in New Jersey in the 2010 inaugural "Best Law Firms" rankings published by U.S. News and Best Lawyers.
Real Estate Acquisition, Sale and Asset Management
The attorneys in Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s Real Estate, Development and Land Use Group possess a diverse background that encompasses the acquisition, sale, financing, leasing and management of virtually every type of real estate asset. These assets include office, retail, hotel, gaming, entertainment, industrial, residential and mixed-use properties, as well as raw land, leasehold interests and air rights. With a unique combination of in-depth legal experience and a strong yet practical perspective, our ability to help clients maximize the value of the property they own, manage and lease is without parallel.
Redevelopment is the legal process designed to restore economic vitality to blighted areas wherever they may exist. The process is governed by several state statutes designed to function in harmony. Using these legal tools to maximum advantage necessitates an in-depth knowledge of laws governing zoning and planning, contracts, taxation of real property, public finance and economic stimulus programs offered to incentivize redevelopment activities.
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s real estate attorneys, together with our colleagues in the firm’s other practice groups, are at the forefront of redevelopment efforts of diverse types. The firm is privileged to act as redevelopment counsel to developers of many of New Jersey’s largest, highest visibility redevelopment projects. We offer top to bottom legal services, including the “area in need” plan, the redeveloper agreement, PILOT’S, redevelopment area bonds and the use of public incentive programs.
Likewise, our litigators, supported by the firm’s real estate group, have achieved notable success in matters where property owners have initiated legal challenges alleging the inappropriate use of redevelopment powers by municipalities, defending redevelopers against challenges by both private and public interests and acquiring property through eminent domain proceedings.
Leasing and Property Management
Our leasing practice encompasses a broad spectrum of asset types and transactions. Representing both landlords and tenants in markets nationwide, our practice includes not only conventional office, retail and industrial leases, but also ground, net and operating leases. We take pride in our representation of many well-known national and regional retailers and manufacturers.
As a result of our representation of retail tenants, we have earned a reputation as a leader in retail leasing around the country. Over the years, our leasing experience has extended to other specific areas and projects such as high-tech data centers, telecommunications facilities, production studios, entertainment/retail centers, theaters, theme restaurants, foreign missions, designer showrooms, garage and parking facilities, and the master leasing of signage rights.
The significant experience gained over the years through our close partnerships with owners, property managers and facilities professionals allows us significant understanding of all aspects of management and lease administration. For owners, this is part of our full-service capability. For corporate users of real estate, our experience is an integral part of their facilities management programs.
Project Development and Construction
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi real estate attorneys are highly experienced in every aspect of project development, acquisition, design, governmental approvals, financing, construction, management and brokerage.
Our development work for clients encompasses both the public and private sectors and myriad asset types, including office, shopping center, residential, industrial, entertainment/retail, hotel and resort properties. We are particularly seasoned in matters involving large-scale development as well as mixed-use projects involving commercial, hotel and retail components. We regularly appear before local and state agencies to obtain the permits and approvals necessary to greenlight development projects.
Our construction background includes representation of developers, construction managers and contractors on major commercial projects as well as work on behalf of tenants in connection with the build-out of office and retail facilities. Through our experience in the construction process, we are well-qualified to negotiate the complex construction agreements required by major development projects.
Real Estate Financing and Loan Restructuring
We represent lenders and borrowers in connection with all phases of mortgage lending, including the financing of fee, leasehold and other real estate interests. We also gain competitive advantage from our ability to draw upon the experience of our colleagues in our Corporate and Securities and Public Finance Groups for assistance in structuring innovative debt and equity financing from investors in public and private markets.
Many of our projects include sophisticated financing mechanisms involving leasehold mortgage financing, sale/leaseback transactions, and other complex operating agreements such as equity and cash flow participating arrangements. Having experience in the ups and downs of real estate cycles, we are keenly aware of the financing issues facing owners and lenders.
Our attorneys have significant experience with both performing and non-performing loans and have represented lenders and borrowers in connection with loan workouts and restructurings, and the acquisition and disposition of non-performing loan portfolios. Together with our colleagues in our Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Group, we also advise our clients on prepackaged bankruptcies and the acquisition of assets from an estate in bankruptcy.
Whether as part of a real estate acquisition and development team advising on a land acquisition, or appearing before a municipal board for an approval or variance, Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s land use attorneys are an integral part of our real estate practice. We regularly represent property owners and developers in front of municipal boards and agencies throughout New Jersey. We are known for guiding our clients through the complex land use process with diligence, timely determination and cost effective advocacy.
Condominiums and Planned Real Estate Development
We represent developers and sponsors of residential, commercial and mixed use planned real estate projects from inception through sales. Our attorneys prepare offering materials for the registration of projects with the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs and regularly advise clients regarding state and municipal regulatory matters concerning condominiums and other types of planned real estate projects.
Dispute Resolution and Real Estate Litigation
We have extensive experience in joint ventures and often address and resolve disputes that arise among co-venturers in real estate projects. For ventures with intractable issues, we pursue a variety of courses, from winding down a venture and distribution of assets, to exploring bankruptcy alternatives. Together with our Litigation colleagues, we litigate commercial lease disputes, zoning and land use controversies and condemnation proceedings.
Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi’s real estate tax appeals attorneys apply a thorough knowledge of state and local property tax laws, appraisal methodology, and valuation formulas to help achieve our clients’ long- and short-term goals. With capabilities across the spectrum of real estate transactions, real property taxation and litigation, we employ a comprehensive approach to each client’s tax appeal. Our attorneys represent both municipalities and property owners before federal and state tax courts and the various county tax boards in New Jersey and provide legal counsel in a wide array of tax appeal proceedings.
- Henry J. Amoroso
- Gage Andretta
- Megan E. Bedell
- Mitchell S. Berkey
- John F. Casey
- Donna M. Erem
- Francis J. Giantomasi
- Gemma M. Giantomasi
- Jeffrey M. Gussoff
- Lisa A. John-Basta
- Stephen A. Kisker
- Fredric P. Lavinthal
- John R. Lloyd
- Anthony J. Marchese
- June S. Meller
- Michael J. Oliveira
- Anthony Pantano
- Jill D. Rosenberg
- Jesse J. Tepedino
- Thomas J. Trautner Jr.
- Chad Yablonsky
- Joseph Zawila
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC Announces Six Attorney Promotions
- CSG Recognized in 2017 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 27 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2017
- 31 CSG Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in 2016 New Jersey "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Power 100 - Jeffrey S. Chiesa and Francis J. Giantomasi
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC Announces Five Attorney Promotions
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC and JLL Unveil "Iberia Ironbound" Mixed-Use Development Site in Newark, N.J.
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Recognized in 2016 Best Law Firm Rankings
- 25 CSG Attorneys Named to Best Lawyers in America 2016
- CSG's Lisa John-Basta Named to New Jersey's Forty Under 40
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi's Francis J. Giantomasi Named to the Advisory Board of The Center for Real Estate at Rutgers Business School
- Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi Adds Experienced Tax Appeal Litigation Associate
- John R. Lloyd Joins Chiesa Shahinian & Giantomasi PC
- The Residential Market in New Jersey - Francis J. Giantomasi
- Wolff & Samson Adds Francis J. Giantomasi as Partner
- Wolff & Samson Hires David Freylikhman to Join Real Estate Group
- Wolff & Samson Announces Attorney Promotions
- Wolff & Samson Recognized in 2014 Best Law Firms Rankings
- Former U.S. Senator Jeffrey Chiesa Rejoins Wolff & Samson
- Wolff & Samson Announces Attorney Promotions
- Wolff & Samson Achieves High Rankings in 2012 Chambers USA
- Twenty-five Attorneys from Wolff & Samson Named to Best Lawyers in America
- Thirty Wolff & Samson Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in "New Jersey Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Wolff & Samson Wins NAIOP-NJ Industry Service Award
- Wolff & Samson Recognized in Inaugural 2010 Best Law Firms Rankings
- Three Attorneys Join Wolff & Samson
- Wolff & Samson Earns Additional Top Rankings in Chambers USA
- Twenty-one Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to "Super Lawyers" and "Rising Stars"
- Wolff & Samson Announces New Members and Counsel
- Wolff & Samson Creates New Practice Group Focusing on Renewable Energy and Sustainability
- Chiesa Named Chief Counsel to Governor-Elect Christie
- Wolff & Samson Attorneys Named to "Best Lawyers in America"
- Mitchell Berkey Selected For New Jersey Governor's Blue Ribbon Panel
- Berkey, Toft Among New Jersey Most Prominent Real Estate Attorneys
- Thomas J. Trautner appointed to the editorial board of the New Jersey Chapter of the Community Associations Institute
- NJ Appellate Division Issued Decision Eviscerating Regulations
- 3/7/2017: Real Estate Market Forecast
- 11/10/2016: From the Ground Up: The Development of a Commercial Real Estate Project
- 9/15/2016: 3rd Annual NJ Apartment/Multifamily Summit
- 6/30/2016: NJ Commercial Real Estate Forecast Summit
- 6/21/2016: 2nd Annual Newark CRE Summit
- 4/29/2016: 2nd Annual NJ Office Summit
- 3/17/2016: 4th Annual New Jersey Gold Coast & Spring Multifamily Summit
- 3/2/2016: REED Real Estate Market Forecast
- NJ Industrial Real Estate & Development Summit - Dennis Toft
- 1/27/2017: New Jersey Planning Conference
- ULI-NNJ NJ State of Industrial Development
- Negotiating Rooftop Leases: Deal Structures, Key Provisions, Subordination and Other Financing Considerations - Stephen Kisker
- Newark 360: An Inside Look at Development & Investment in NJ's Largest City - Francis J. Giantomasi
- 5th Annual New Jersey Apartment Summit - Mitchell Berkey
- CSG and KPMG Present: New Jersey Real Estate Private Equity Summit - Connecting Investors and Operators
- 2nd Annual NJ Apartment/Multifamily Conference - Mitchell Berkey
- Newark CRE Summit - Francis J. Giantomasi
- A Town Hall Discussion: Renaissance or Gentrification - Francis J. Giantomasi
- New Jersey Office Summit - Mitchell Berkey
- Third Annual New Jersey Gold Coast & Spring Multifamily Summit - Mitchell Berkey
- Real Estate Market Forecast - Francis J. Giantomasi
- 2015 Industrial and Economic Development Summit - Dennis Toft
- New Jersey Apartment / MultiFamily Summit - Mitchell Berkey
- RealShare New Jersey - Mitchell Berkey
- Residential Landlord-Tenant Law
- Ethics Presentation for In-House Counsel: Part Four of A Complimentary CLE Series
- In-House Attorney-Client Privilege and Disclosure Issues: Part Two of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- Wolff & Samson and KPMG Present: New Jersey Real Estate Private Equity Summit: Connecting Investors and Operators
- RPCs and the In-House Attorney: Part One of a Four-Part Complimentary CLE Series
- Marcus & Millichap Multifamily Forum New Jersey: Anatomy of a Deal -- Case Studies on the Biggest Deals of 2012
- Superstorm Sandy Damages and Claims: A Program for Businesses and Property Owners
- Rooftop Leases: Legal and Business Considerations for Building Owners
- Bisnow's 2nd Annual New Jersey Multifamily Summit
- IMN 2012 U.S. Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing Forum
- 2011 International Council of Shopping Centers: U.S. Shopping Center Law Conference
- 10th Annual RealShare New Jersey
- The 5th Annual New Jersey Real Estate Conference
- Landlord-Tenant Law
- The 4th Annual New Jersey Real Estate Conference
- Renewable Energy Opportunities for Owners and Developers of Real Estate: What Real Estate Attorneys Need to Know
- The New Jersey Real Estate Economic Survival Conference
- Architects Panel at the Law and Office New Jersey Conference
- Irvington Chamber of Commerce Quarterly Membership Dinner
- Real Estate Development in Brooklyn: Who is Building What and Where?
- Monmouth County Assessment Demonstration Program
- Added and Omitted Assessments
- Liquor License Renewal Season is Upon Us
- The State Has Pushed Snooze for the Last Time and It's Time for Developers to Go to Work!
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2016
- Added and Omitted Assessments
- A Setback for Real Estate Developers as Courts Begin Reviewing Municipal Affordable Housing Plans
- Tax Court Ruling Cancels Property Tax Exemption for Non-Profit Hospital
- New Jersey Launches Mandatory Electronic Filing System for 2015-2016 Liquor License Renewals
- The New Jersey Supreme Court Revisits Redevelopment and Eminent Domain - Is This a Retreat from Gallenthin?
- Good News: The Supreme Court Has Created a Path to Resolve Affordable Housing Uncertainty; Bad News: The Path is Through Litigation
- Permit Extension Act of 2014 Signed
- Monmouth County Assessment Demonstration Program
- Sale or Lease of Condominium Units Now Exempt from Registration and Disclosure Requirements of the Interstate Land Sales Full Disclosure Act
- Governor's Veto Reinstates Non-Residential Developer's Fee
- NJRA Receives $20M NMTC Allocation; Soliciting "Shovel-Ready" Projects for Funding
- COAH Proposes New Affordable Housing Rules, Meets Court-Ordered Deadline
- Appellate Division Condemns COAH for Inaction on Adoption of New Third Round Rules
- New Rule Requires Local Notification and Emblems on Buildings with Solar Panels
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2014
- Added and Omitted Assessments
- Court Decides Against Growth Share Methodology in COAH's Third Round Rules
- Governor Signs NJ Economic Opportunity Act of 2013
- Governor Christie Signs New Bill Amending New Jersey's Redevelopment Law
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2013
- New Jersey Structures Suffering "Material Depreciation" Caused by Hurricane Sandy May Be Eligible for Adjusted Assessment in 2013
- New Legislation May Impose Fees and Reduce Tax Refunds on Industrial Properties Undergoing Environmental Cleanups
- New Jersey Department of Community Affairs Changes Procedure for Certain Construction Permits
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2012: April 1 Deadline Approaching
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2012
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2011
- Legislation Package Enacted to Implement NYC's Greener, Greater Buildings Plan
- Commercial Property Appeals in 2010
- COAH Update: November 24, 2009 Deadline To Seek Refund Of Fees Paid Under Statewide Non-Residential Development Fee Act
- Coah Update